XOpup is a Puppylinux
5.1.1-based OS for the OLPC XO-1 ans XO-1.5 laptops
XOpup was developed by mavrothal
Mitch Bradley (OLPC) was
instrumental in booting puppy on the XO
Paul J Fox (OLPC) was critical
in debugging and modifying power management and keyboard function in
Anna and Eddie Owens helped with the sound
at the initial steps of the project, and ttuuxxx had many helpful comments
and encouragement during the difficult start.
XOpup-2.1 is a slimmed down version of XOpup-1.0 and now supports equally well the
XO-1 and the XO-1.5
The main changes compared to XOpup-1.0 are:
- Addition of Openbox/fbpanel window manager that is screen
- Screen, touchpad, Dpad and arrow-keys rotation
- New XO-1.5 chrome video driver that supports rotation
- XO camera support through the Guvcview application
- A first attempt of a Spanish localization package (included in
- New olpc-2.6.35-based kernels for both the XO-1 and the XO-1.5
(a new 2.6.31 kernel
for the XO-1 is also provided)
- Jamesbond's new snapmergepuppy that dramatically decreases
savefile and shutdown times
- Shinobar's new "sfs_load on the fly" for loading and unloading
sfs without reboot.
- Transmission BitTorrent client
- External monitor/projector, firewall, samba sharing and bluetooth
- Improvements in the puppyfile detection and the shutdown process
- Better power management
- Updated XO-version-specific Quickpet and PPM repo data
- Updated Flash player
- Trio's you2pup-2. Very handy, particularly on the XO-1
- New XOpup-specific desktop backgrounds
- "xopup"-based instead of "lupu"-based SFS names
- Many more updates and under-the-hood changes.
- See the change
log for the changes from XOpup-2.
To decrease the size and further
speed-up XOpup, applications and function that may not suit XO
characteristics or used that much, have been move out of the main
These are CD/DVD, Scanner, Digital Camera and printing support, as well
as the Gnumeric (spreadsheet) and Homebank applications.
The main SFS is now under 88MB
All the removed components are provided as pets in the "extra_pets" folder included in the
download. They can be installed as needed, by just clicking the
The 2.6.31 kernel version for the XO-1 is also included as a pet in
"extra_pets". Has been reported to handle "difficult" WiFi connections
better than the standard 2.6.35 kernel.
XOpup-2.1 can be installed both in a USB key or an SDcard and does not
have any special formatting requirements. However when using
vfat-formatted media you can only save in an "xopupsave.2/3fs" file and
not into the entire partition. Ext2/3 formatting instructions are
included in the "Docs" folder of the download if needed. Please be
careful reformatting flash-based media .
To install XOpup-2.1 download
file (md5sum: 800b9351753fe792a5e14c5c39e0fe16), expand
an ext2/ext3/vfat formatted
USB or SDcard and boot your XO-1 or XO-1.5.
The XO must be unlocked by either having security disabled or
copying the "security" folder, with your developer key in it, from your
XO's internal storage to the XOpup boot USB/SDcard.
Please do see the XOpup-1.0
build announcement for more info and requirements.
XOpup is using the lupu_devx-511.sfs devlopment files renamed for
1) Alternative screen resolutions are not supported
on the XO-1.5
2) While booting from ext3-formatted media, the OFW gives a warning
about the ext3 journal needing recovery. Although scary, is harmless.
system is OK.